Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Sutherland Shire residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Sutherland Shire, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Sutherland Shire are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Sutherland Shire - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||228||0.2||2.0||207||0.2||2.1||+21|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,154||1.0||1.0||1,103||1.0||0.9||+51|
|Accommodation and Food Services||5,416||4.6||6.2||6,117||5.4||7.1||-701|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||6,661||5.7||4.6||7,318||6.5||4.7||-657|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,942||1.7||1.8||2,048||1.8||2.2||-106|
|Financial and Insurance Services||7,066||6.0||5.3||6,305||5.6||4.9||+761|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||2,482||2.1||1.7||2,362||2.1||1.8||+120|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||11,363||9.7||8.9||9,786||8.7||8.1||+1,577|
|Administrative and Support Services||3,358||2.9||3.2||3,608||3.2||3.5||-250|
|Public Administration and Safety||8,008||6.8||6.1||7,637||6.8||6.0||+371|
|Education and Training||11,825||10.1||8.7||10,554||9.4||8.4||+1,271|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||14,717||12.5||14.4||12,701||11.3||12.5||+2,016|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,893||1.6||1.4||2,030||1.8||1.5||-137|
|Industry not classified||4,441||3.8||4.6||4,626||4.1||4.7||-185|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Sutherland Shire in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (14,717 people or 12.5%)
- Construction (13,294 people or 11.3%)
- Education and Training (11,825 people or 10.1%)
In combination these three industries employed 39,836 people in total or 33.9% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 14.4% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 8.6% in Construction and 8.7% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Sutherland Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (11.3% compared to 8.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.2% compared to 2.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (12.5% compared to 14.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (4.6% compared to 6.2%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in Sutherland Shire were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+2,016 resident workforce)
- Construction (+1,759 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+1,577 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+1,271 resident workforce)