Resident workers - Hours worked
43.2% of the resident workers in Toowoomba work 40 or more hours, compared to 43.2% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Toowoomba's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Toowoomba depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||7,858||11.0||11.0||7,308||10.6||10.4||+550||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,423||9.0||9.4||5,995||8.7||8.8||+428||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,485||11.9||12.0||7,543||11.0||10.8||+942||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||13,947||19.6||19.2||13,125||19.1||18.1||+822||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,937||9.7||9.4||7,194||10.5||10.5||-257||22007|
|49 hours or more||12,965||18.2||16.6||13,257||19.3||18.4||-292||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Toowoomba's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a similar proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) as well as a similar proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.6% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.8% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Toowoomba and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (18.2% compared to 16.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.2% compared to 17.2%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Toowoomba increased by 912 people (2.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Toowoomba between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+942 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+822 people)
- 40 hours (+639 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+550 people)