In Toowoomba, Construction had the highest local sales, generating $2,621 million in 2018/19.
Local sales by industry measures the output of local industries that is sold locally. This includes sales to local consumers, businesses and other organisations.
To get the full picture how each industry sector contributes to the regional or state economy, local sales data should be viewed alongside the other industry characteristics in the Industry sector analysis section.
Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Local sales by industry sector|
|Toowoomba - Constant prices||2018/19||2013/14||Change|
|Industry||$m||%||Queensland||$m||%||Queensland||2013/14 - 2018/19|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||766.5||5.4||2.1||706.5||5.3||2.0||+60.0|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||750.8||5.3||4.3||605.6||4.5||3.7||+145.2|
|Accommodation and Food Services||291.6||2.1||2.8||272.0||2.0||2.4||+19.6|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||723.6||5.1||4.8||705.1||5.2||4.8||+18.5|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||195.6||1.4||2.3||271.2||2.0||1.8||-75.6|
|Financial and Insurance Services||1,057.1||7.5||6.2||842.5||6.3||5.2||+214.7|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,363.8||9.6||14.0||1,177.2||8.7||11.5||+186.6|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||735.8||5.2||7.0||590.4||4.4||5.7||+145.4|
|Administrative and Support Services||327.9||2.3||3.6||300.7||2.2||3.3||+27.1|
|Public Administration and Safety||717.6||5.1||4.1||826.3||6.1||3.9||-108.8|
|Education and Training||616.7||4.4||3.7||547.9||4.1||3.2||+68.8|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,186.1||8.4||6.6||822.2||6.1||4.3||+363.9|
|Arts and Recreation Services||151.9||1.1||0.9||136.4||1.0||0.8||+15.5|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2019. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id the population experts NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. .id the population experts. Data are based on a 2016-17 price base for all years. NIEIR-ID data are inflation adjusted each year to allow direct comparison, and annual data releases adjust previous years’ figures to a new base year.Learn more
An analysis of the local sales by industry sectors in Toowoomba in 2018/19 shows the three largest industries were:
- Construction ($2,621million or 18.5%)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services ($1,364million or 9.6%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance ($1,186million or 8.4%)
In combination these three industries accounted for $5,171 million in total or 36.6% of the total local sales by total industry in the Toowoomba.
In comparison, the same 3 industries in Queensland accounted for 20.2% in Construction; 14.0% in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services and 6.6% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between local sales by industries of Toowoomba and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (9.6% compared to 14.0%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (5.4% compared to 2.1%)
- A larger percentage of local sales by Health Care and Social Assistance (8.4% compared to 6.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local sales by Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (5.2% compared to 7.0%)
The total local sales by industry in Toowoomba $increased by 689 million between 2013/14 and 2018/19.
The largest changes in the local sales by industries between 2013/14 and 2018/19 in Toowoomba were for:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+$364 million)
- Construction (-$303 million)
- Financial and Insurance Services (+$215 million)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (+$187 million)