Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in Willoughby City.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of Willoughby City's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|Industry||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2014/15 - 2019/20|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||52||0.1||2.6||61||0.1||2.9||-9|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||472||0.8||1.2||471||0.8||1.2||+2|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,172||3.5||5.5||2,375||3.9||5.9||-203|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,633||2.6||5.7||1,683||2.8||5.9||-50|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||5,644||9.0||2.2||5,679||9.4||2.5||-35|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,996||4.8||5.6||2,729||4.5||5.3||+267|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,253||2.0||1.8||1,478||2.4||2.0||-226|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||9,383||15.0||10.8||8,432||13.9||9.5||+950|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,606||2.6||3.0||1,625||2.7||3.0||-18|
|Public Administration and Safety||2,491||4.0||5.9||1,989||3.3||5.6||+502|
|Education and Training||2,658||4.3||7.5||2,522||4.2||7.5||+136|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||10,914||17.5||12.1||9,201||15.2||10.9||+1,714|
|Arts and Recreation Services||488||0.8||1.4||540||0.9||1.4||-52|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id informed decisions. NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in Willoughby City in 2019/20 shows the three largest industries were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (10,914 people or 17.5%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (9,383 people or 15.0%)
- Construction (6,347 people or 10.2%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 26,644 people in total or 42.7% of the local workers.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 12.1% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 10.8% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services and 10.6% in Construction.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of Willoughby City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Information Media and Telecommunications (9.0% compared to 2.2%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (17.5% compared to 12.1%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (15.0% compared to 10.8%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Education and Training (4.3% compared to 7.5%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in Willoughby City increased by increased by 1,891 between 2014/15 and 2019/20.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2014/15 and 2019/20 in Willoughby City were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,714 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+950 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Public Administration and Safety (+502 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Financial and Insurance Services (+267 full-time equivalent local workers)