Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in Willoughby City.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of Willoughby City's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|Industry||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2015/16 - 2020/21|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||36||0.1||2.6||63||0.1||2.8||-27|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||478||0.7||1.2||490||0.8||1.2||-12|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,021||3.0||4.9||2,451||3.9||5.7||-430|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,571||2.3||5.4||1,763||2.8||5.8||-191|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||5,905||8.7||2.2||6,011||9.6||2.5||-106|
|Financial and Insurance Services||3,655||5.4||5.6||2,863||4.6||5.3||+793|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,604||2.4||1.8||1,513||2.4||2.0||+91|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||12,146||18.0||11.4||9,229||14.7||10.2||+2,917|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,779||2.6||3.0||1,793||2.9||3.3||-15|
|Public Administration and Safety||3,163||4.7||6.3||2,188||3.5||5.6||+975|
|Education and Training||2,970||4.4||8.3||2,832||4.5||7.7||+139|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||11,229||16.6||12.3||10,036||16.0||11.5||+1,192|
|Arts and Recreation Services||563||0.8||1.5||543||0.9||1.6||+19|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) ©2021. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (informed decisions). NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures. Learn morePlease refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in Willoughby City in 2020/21 shows the three largest industries were:
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (12,146 people or 18.0%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (11,229 people or 16.6%)
- Retail Trade (6,888 people or 10.2%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 30,263 people in total or 44.8% of the local workers.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 11.4% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; 12.3% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 8.5% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of Willoughby City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (18.0% compared to 11.4%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Information Media and Telecommunications (8.7% compared to 2.2%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (16.6% compared to 12.3%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Education and Training (4.4% compared to 8.3%)
The number of full-time equivalent local workers in Willoughby City increased by increased by 4,969 between 2015/16 and 2020/21.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2015/16 and 2020/21 in Willoughby City were for those employed in:
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+2,917 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,192 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Public Administration and Safety (+975 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Financial and Insurance Services (+793 full-time equivalent local workers)