Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Willoughby City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Willoughby City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Willoughby City Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||3,726||10.3||10.8||3,292||9.8||10.4||+434|
|16 hours - 24 hours||3,652||10.1||10.4||3,235||9.6||9.7||+417|
|25 hours - 34 hours||3,092||8.5||10.5||2,811||8.4||9.8||+281|
|35 hours - 39 hours||5,444||15.0||19.1||4,531||13.5||18.2||+913|
|41 hours - 48 hours||3,643||10.0||9.1||3,651||10.8||10.0||-8|
|49 hours or more||6,759||18.6||14.9||7,045||20.9||16.4||-286|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Willoughby City's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 31.5% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 67.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Willoughby City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (8.5% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (15.0% compared to 19.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (23.4% compared to 20.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (18.6% compared to 14.9%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Willoughby City increased by 1756 people (7.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Willoughby City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+1,137 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+913 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+434 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+417 persons)