The Age Structure of an industry's local workers is a key component to understanding the role and function of that industry in Willoughby City. It is an indicator of the age of the industry and how long it has been established in the area, as well as the possible challenges in expanding that industry in the future.
For example an area with young local workers may be more mobile and likely to change jobs/industries in the future while an industry with an older local workers may face succession planning issues and challenges in attracting new staff.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers age structure|
|Willoughby City Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Ten year age groups (years)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|15 to 24 years||7,786||13.1||14.0||7,319||14.0||14.5||+467|
|25 to 34 years||16,040||27.0||23.1||13,589||25.9||21.9||+2,451|
|35 to 44 years||13,995||23.5||22.3||12,019||22.9||23.1||+1,976|
|45 to 54 years||11,438||19.2||21.3||10,702||20.4||22.6||+736|
|55 to 64 years||7,687||12.9||15.0||6,932||13.2||14.4||+755|
|65 years and over||2,494||4.2||4.3||1,877||3.6||3.5||+617|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the age structure of the workforce in Willoughby City in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people in the younger age groups (15 to 44 years) and a lower proportion of people in the older age groups (45 years and over).
Overall, 63.6% of the workforce was aged under 45 years, compared to 59.4% for New South Wales. 36.4% were aged 45 years and over, compared to 40.6% for New South Wales.
The major differences between the age structure of the workforce in Willoughby City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers aged 25 to 34 years (27.0% compared to 23.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers aged 35 to 44 years (23.5% compared to 22.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers aged 45 to 54 years (19.2% compared to 21.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers aged 55 to 64 years (12.9% compared to 15.0%)
The largest changes in the age structure of the workforce in Willoughby City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 to 34 years (+2,451 local workers)
- 35 to 44 years (+1,976 local workers)
- 55 to 64 years (+755 local workers)
- 45 to 54 years (+736 local workers)