City of Parramatta
Resident workers - Hours worked
45.2% of the resident workers in the City of Parramatta work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Parramatta's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Parramatta depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Parramatta||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||9,949||9.3||10.8||8,458||9.2||10.4||+1,491||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||10,472||9.8||10.4||8,685||9.4||9.7||+1,787||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,327||8.8||10.5||7,927||8.6||9.8||+1,400||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||23,954||22.5||19.1||19,281||20.9||18.2||+4,673||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||8,999||8.4||9.1||9,045||9.8||10.0||-46||22007|
|49 hours or more||12,195||11.4||14.9||12,582||13.6||16.4||-387||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Parramatta's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 30.6% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 67.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the City of Parramatta and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (25.3% compared to 20.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (22.5% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (11.4% compared to 14.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (8.8% compared to 10.5%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Parramatta increased by 9,584 people (15.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the City of Parramatta between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+5,344 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+4,673 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,787 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,491 people)