City of Parramatta
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Within the City of Parramatta, the workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to New South Wales.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in City of Parramatta will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in City of Parramatta;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, City of Parramatta in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Parramatta - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales %||Number||%||New South Wales %||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||13,085||9.5||12.7||13,052||10.0||13.2||+33||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||12,069||8.7||10.4||10,542||8.1||9.5||+1,527||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||29,902||21.7||13.8||29,640||22.7||15.0||+262||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||6,780||4.9||6.1||6,857||5.3||6.4||-77||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||3,016||2.2||1.8||2,739||2.1||1.8||+277||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the workforce in City of Parramatta in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (36,941 local workers or 26.8%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (29,902 local workers or 21.7%)
- Managers (17,598 local workers or 12.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 84,441 people in total or 61.2% of the local workers .
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% as Professionals; 13.8% as Clerical and Administrative Workers; and 13.5% as Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Parramatta and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (21.7% compared to 13.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (26.8% compared to 23.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (9.5% compared to 12.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (6.4% compared to 8.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the in the City of Parramatta workforce between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Professionals (+2,847 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,527 local workers)
- Managers (+1,360 local workers)
- Labourers (+879 local workers)