In the City of Parramatta, 26.8% of workers were Professionals, compared to 23.6% in New South Wales.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Parramatta will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Parramatta;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Parramatta - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||13,085||9.5||12.7||13,052||10.0||13.2||+33|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||12,069||8.7||10.4||10,542||8.1||9.5||+1,527|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||29,902||21.7||13.8||29,640||22.7||15.0||+262|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||6,780||4.9||6.1||6,857||5.3||6.4||-77|
|Inadequately described or not stated||3,016||2.2||1.8||2,739||2.1||1.8||+277|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Parramatta in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (36,941 local workers or 26.8%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (29,902 local workers or 21.7%)
- Managers (17,598 local workers or 12.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 84,441 people in total or 61.2% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% as Professionals; 13.8% as Clerical and Administrative Workers and 13.5% as Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Parramatta and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (21.7% compared to 13.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (9.5% compared to 12.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (26.8% compared to 23.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (6.4% compared to 8.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Parramatta between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+2,847 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,527 local workers)
- Managers (+1,360 local workers)
- Labourers (+879 local workers)